House Rewire, how much does it cost to rewire a house
DO YOU NEED A HOUSE REWIRE
How much does it cost to rewire a house?. Having a house rewired is probably one of the largest domestic jobs to have within a property. The cost implications can range dramatically from one rewire to another. On this page we will hope to guide you in the right direction in choosing whether or not you actually need a house rewire and the steps involved within this process.
Why Do I Need a House Rewire:
You should look at rewiring your property to maintain the safety of your life & home alongside neighbours property. Each year around 7763 fires in domestic properties are caused from electrical origin.
The most common cause of fire through electricity is undersized cables, damaged electrical wiring, wrong accessories and old fuseboards. Many households over 20 years old contain old cable which is now inadequate for modern day living and applications being used around the home, not to mention the total load on a circuit (current being used); For example, a circuit with a 16 amp fuse used in some old kitchens could now contain … kettle (8 amps), Fridge/freezer (8 amps), microwave (2 amps) and the list goes on..
If a circuit is overloaded, it may cause overheating within a circuit and if that circuit then goes into fault….FIRE!
There are many reasons to have a rewire but by far the greatest is SAFETY!!!
Tell Tale Signs You Need a House Rewire
There are a few different signs you may need to rewire your property.
- OLD CABLING – cable that does not look like modern day grey or white pvc cables i.e. twisted pair flexes, black rubber cable, braiedd cables, paper cables, lead cables. A good source to look at images of these cables is http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Historic_Mains_Cables
- REWIREABLE FUSEBOARD – A good indication of if your property requires electrical work is the distribution board (fuseboard). If your property contains a rewireable fuseboard, chances are you will either need a rewire or at minimum a fuseboard change (please see our section on fuseboard upgrade)
- ELECTRIC SHOCK – Do you get electric shocks from sockets/switches or appliance
- DAMAGED CABLING & ACCESSORIES – if you have damaged cables within your property they should be replaced
- OLD SWITCHES AND SOCKETS – If you have old bakerlite switches and sockets with toggle switches OR wooden accessories
- SMELL – There is a smell of burning or visible signs of burning on accessories
- AGE – If your property was built before 1989
The Process Involved In a House Rewire
The first step to ascertain if you need a domestic house rewire is to contact a professional trustworthy electrician like Eltech Electrical,Halifax.
On initial contact we will come to your property and have a look for any of the signs listed above. On a visual inspection of your property we will determine a set course of action for you. If we deem after a visual inspection your property needs testing to ascertain if you require a rewire, we will advise you of such along with the benefits of having a test completed. Depending on the outcome of the visual or safety testing, you may find that with certain remedial works and perhaps a new fuseboard, your property will be safe and conform to the latest wiring regulations BS7671.
If after testing, you need a rewire, we will advise you to :
- Walk around your property and think about the positioning of any accessories you may want & positions of lighting etc..
- Discuss with us the way in which the works would be carried out.
We will then:
- Compile a list of accessories you wish to have in each room.
- Work out a quotation based on your requirements
- Provide you with a schedule of works and timescale of works
- start the works at a mutually convenient time
- complete all agreed works, Tidy Up and issue final invoice for payment
The works within a house rewire generally comprise of:
LIFTING OF CARPETS
LIFTING OF FLOORBOARDS
DRILLING JOISTS, WALLS AND CEILINGS
CHASING OUT WALLS/CHISELING
RIP OUT OF OLD ACCESSORIES AND CABLING
INSTALLATION OF NEW CABLING
RELAY ALL BOARDS AND CARPET
INSTALLATION OF SOCKET FRONTS, LIGHTS, LIGHT SWITCHES AND ACCESSORIES
INSTALLATION OF FUSEBOARD
FULL INSPECTION,TEST, REPORT AND CERTIFICATION ISSUED.
FOR YOUR PEACE OF MIND & COST
All works undertaken by ELTECH ELECTRICAL are carried out by qualified, apprentice trained electricians and installed to comply with BS7671 wiring regulations. As we rely on word of mouth recommendations, our clients happiness is extremely important to us and we pride ourselves in providing the best service possible. All our work including accessories is guaranteed for a period of 12 months (missuses of accessories not permitting) and we carry full public liability insurance for your peace of mind.
The cost or a rewire is determined by the accessories specified by the client and the number of accessories installed. The price can vary from as little as £750 to the maximum of your budget. To obtain an accurate costing, a job will have to be costed by an engineer/electrician.
If you feel you need a rewire or advice on any of the above, please feel free to contact ELTECH ELECTRICAL on 07719005105.